You’ve got your pick of the 30-06 rifle. That’s great!
Now all you need to do is IMPROVE ITS FEATURES with the introduction of a RIFLE SCOPE.
We’re here to give you our curated list of top 6 picks for your next hunt or shooting at long-range targets.
- 6 Best Scopes for 30-06 Rifles
- What Are the Basics of a 30-06 Rifle?
- How to Identify the Parts of the Scope?
- What Should I Look for in a 30-06 Rifle Scope?
- Our Top Picks
6 Best Scopes for 30-06 Rifles
1. Vortex Optics Diamondback HP 4-16×42
- Magnification range of 4-16x
- Low dispersion 40mm objective lens
- Easy reticle focusing
The Vortex Diamondback HP is one of the MOST powerful scopes for the 30-06 you can get TODAY.
The HP in its name stands for “high performance” which is a testament to its high-quality features.
We are breaking its main features down for you to clearly understand what you’re getting for this quality scope:
Lens and Magnification
THIS is why the Diamondback is perfect for serious shooters: you’ll be guaranteed to squint and experience glares LESS!
- Its extra-low dispersion glass works hand in hand with its multi-coated lens to maximize light transmission. This results in a SIGNIFICANT reduction of reflection in your lens to give you a BETTER viewing experience.
- What’s even greater is how the Vortex Optics Diamondback allows for the 4-12x magnification of your scope. This is almost 4x BETTER than most scopes in the market!
So not only do you get an OVERALL CLEAR VIEW of your hunt… but you ALSO get to assess your field for as far as 1000 yards past.
The Diamondback HP also optimizes its resolution to a wide field of view thanks to its 40mm lens and bullet drop compensation (BDC) reticle.
The BDC reticle is another name for what is essentially a duplex reticle that has markings to indicate windage on the bottom and side posts.
Fast Focus Eyepiece
This is a UNIQUE feature for the Vortex Optics Diamondback.
Why is that?
- Quick access to the side focus. Focusing your reticle is made easier by giving you access DIRECTLY from your shooting position. No more extra head movements, finally!
- O-ring sealed scope. This eyepiece feature ensures the shockproof, waterproof, and fog-proof properties of the rifle scope.
The ONLY drawback from all of these is the scope may be too BULKY.
However, we still find the tradeoffs to be positive, making this our BEST OVERALL PICK.
- Waterproof and fog-proof performance
- Fully multi-coated lenses
- High magnification for easy targeting 4x optical zooms for easy targeting
- Easy reticle adjustment
- Lifetime warranty
- May be challenging to use
2. Leupold VX-3I 3.5-10×40
» DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER «
- Magnification range of 3.5-10x
- Duplex Reticle
- Twilight Max coating
The Leupold VX scope offers the BEST VALUE given its heavier price tag.
The best thing about the Leupold VX-3i is it produces one of the BEST QUALITY IMAGES for your sight picture. Scopes of this quality would usually cost you TWICE as much.
Leupold scopes also have a unique light management system:
- It uses their signature Twilight Max coating.
- The coating helps the scope gather light easily, assuring you with GREAT VISIBILITY no matter the time of day.
- It is specifically designed for hunts in low light conditions.
Remember: the game is easier at dawn or dusk in favor of most preys’ circadian rhythms. The scope will be PERFECT for such hunts.
Making things easier for you is this reticle feature on the Leupold VX.
This feature allows for FASTER and MORE ACCURATE target acquisition because the crosshairs get finer towards the center.
- Makes it easier to target the vital zones of big games such as deers.
- Often overlooked feature because it is more ergonomic than it is a necessity.
It’s these silent but powerful features that make the overall experience of using this scope for 30-06 worthwhile.
Eye Relief and Magnification
The Leupold VS-3i offers a sufficient amount of eye relief at around 4 inches. This DEPENDS on the magnification you’re using.
You’ll notice this is sufficient even at the highest magnification. This makes the rifle scope ideal for long-range shooters even if it’s mostly used at short ranges because of its overall build.
What’s GREAT about it is it leaves the choice up to you! No matter the range you set your hunt out to be, you can always just adjust the Leupold VX-3i rifle scope however you want to.
The Leupold VX-3i is HIGHLY DURABLE: it’s waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof.
The Leupold’s body is made of aircraft-grade aluminum giving it an overall superhuman build. To top it all off, Leupold also offers a lifetime warranty for its scopes.
Windage and Elevation Adjustments
The scope has ¼ MOA click adjustments on its turrets. You should be able to hear and feel it when you adjust these knobs!
Why is this an advantage in the field for the Leupold VX-3i?
- Improves your shooting intuition
- Reduces your movements to a minimum
- Quick, easy, and highly precise zeroing experience
- Waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof properties
- Lenses for clarity and accuracy
- Duplex reticle for easy targeting
- Lightweight and slim design
- Lifetime Warranty
- Separate purchase of mounts and rings
3. Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Ballistic Plex
BEST BUDGET PICK
- First focal plane reticle
- No-slip grip
- High-grade optical glass
This is a HIGHLY competitive scope for its price range.
You can get a classic rifle scope with all the necessary features and more, all for almost HALF THE PRICE of the other options on this list!
The most lauded feature of the Plex is its reticle that is located on the first local plane.
This allows the reticle to adjust to the DIFFERENT magnification settings: it grows BIGGER the more you ZOOM IN, and SMALLER as you ZOOM OUT.
The scope also features LOWER VERTICAL CROSSHAIR.
- This is meant to compensate for any bullet drop from 100 to 500 yards.
- This is a HUGE upgrade in the field compared to others with the same price.
- This is a testament to it being our best budget scope pick!
These unique changes make it easier for you to work on your TARGET ACCURACY and PRECISION.
You might also be surprised because of the Burris Fullfield’s simplistic design, there are quite a handful of calibers the Ballistic Plex reticle could work with.
The Plex sports the classic one-piece main tube and eyepiece look. This scope is the latest model from Burris Fullfield with its overall better build:
- Better sealed for security
- Lighter in weight
- Easier adjustments for convenience
The rifle scope is also designed to have SPECIAL SEALS to address potential leakage in the eyepiece instead of the usual O-ring sealed design in other scopes.
The adjustable eyepiece has a NO-LOCK MECHANISM.
This makes your life a lot easier because a simple turn of your eyepiece automatically adjusts the reticle’s magnification too!
Moreover, it also has an incorporated NO-SLIP GRIP that overall just improves your shooting experience tenfold.
Glass and Lens
Every glass surface on this rifle scope is layered with Hi-Lume multicoatings, ensuring the best performance for the scope’s 4.5-14x lens magnification.
How does the 42mm objective lens help?
- Helps enhance scope light transmission and parallax adjustment
- Nitrogen-filled to prevent the fogging of the glass and lenses
- Wide field of view
- Better eye relief
- Multi-coated lens
The Plex offers all of these features at an AFFORDABLE price..
- Bullet drop consideration up to 500 yards
- Better accuracy and precision guides
- Better light transmission
- On the heavier side
4. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32
BEST SIT-DOWN AND TARGET PICK
- Magnification range of 2-7x
- Multi-coated lenses
- Aircraft-grade aluminum
Another product from Vortex Optics makes it to our list of top picks!
Compared to the other options, the Crossfire II is the best for shooting sessions where you do NOT expect to do a lot of moving and hunting.
The Crossfire II 2-7×32 is a reliable scope you could go for and be assured that you have a quality device to use in the hunt.
Lens & Reticle
First off, the lenses on the Crossfire II rifle scope are:
- Fully multi-coated to reduce glare and enhance light transmission
- NOT inclusive of an illuminated reticle, so the 32mm objective lens opening especially helps improve light transmission
- Inclusive of the DEAD HOLD BDC RETICLE
Most claim that the effects of which are most apparent when DEER HUNTING from a distance come sunset onwards. You should take note of this as it helps the ranging of your target more intuitive!
Establishing a clear sight picture is important ESPECIALLY at night.
Eye Relief & Eye Box
Eye relief on this scope is between 3.9 and 4.7 inches.
This wide range gives the Crossfire II FLEXIBILITY when it comes to other accessories you might want to add to your device.
- This is what makes the eyebox comfortable enough for you to rest on and move your head from.
- You’ll find this important when you use the scope at its highest magnification.
- The QUALITY generated SIGHT PICTURE and EXPERIENCE at its 7x magnification level can EASILY rival those at higher price points.
You can definitely count on the Crossfire II for better target accuracy and precision! It doesn’t matter that it comes at the lower magnification range of scopes compared to our other picks on this list.
The Crossfire II makes it into our best scope for 30-60 list also because of its aircraft-grade aluminum finish. It’s a single-piece construction that is strong, durable, and surprisingly light!
As a single-piece device, there are no unnecessary moving parts that would allow for the seeping in of moisture or dirt.
Additionally, the scope is also O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged to ensure its waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof properties.
Elevation & Windage Knobs
The knobs on this scope are EASILY adjustable!
This Vortex Optics scope uses 1/4 MOA precision finger clicks that accommodate finger turnings. You can also expect to hear clicking sounds that accompany each turn when zeroing your scope for 30-06.
- Faster locational target acquisition
- Waterproof, fog-proof, and shockproof
- Mobility optimized for long range shooting
- Covered with lifetime warranty
- Low range magnification
- Doesn't include any rings or mounts
5. Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Rifle Scope
» DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER «
- Magnification range of 4-12x
- 1/4 MOA finger click adjustments
- Fast-focus eyepiece
- Weatherproofing properties
Here is another rifle scope from Leupold!
The Leupold VX-2 is an especially powerful scope that may be too advanced for a beginner shooter.
Magnification and Eye Relief
The scope’s magnification range of 4-12x RIVALS other powerful products in this list.
Its provided eye relief of around 4 inches is also enough to safely protect your face from high recoil 30-06 calibers.
These make hunting in BOTH short and long-range ideal and a worthwhile experience!
In addition to these eye features, the lenses of the Leupold VX-2 are also coated to ensure exceptional image quality, brightness, and clarity.
Coupled with its THREADED fast-focus eyepiece for target precision, this Leupold rifle scope definitely meets the demands of serious hunters and shooters.
The VX-2 is built to be durable with its waterproof and fog-proof properties.
It’s specially made to withstand extreme weather conditions given its compact yet durable build. This is what gives the VX-2 a reliable reputation among hunters.
However, it may take beginners a while to adjust to this rifle scope because of the sophistication of its adjustment knobs and other features.
- Can withstand extreme weather conditions
- Features targeted for serious shooters and hunters
- Increased precision for target shooting and hunting
- Lifetime warranty
- Advanced for a beginner shooter
6. Athlon Optics Argos BTR Riflescope 6-24x50mm
- Magnification range of 6-24x
- Reticle etching
- Aircraft-grade aluminum
The Athlon Optics Argos is a great alternative if you want to experience the classic feel of a rifle scope. Its features are all of quality and well within the usual price range of the best scopes for 30-06.
Lens and Magnification
The lenses are fully multicoated. Rest assured, its light management system has been optimized to provide you with good color contrast!
With a zoom ratio of 6-24x, the Athlon rifle scope is also equipped with the 50mm objective lens ideal for 30-06 rifles.
The magnification helps establish a great sight picture, but it’s the wide field of view the lens provides that makes the Athlon an even more excellent scope.
Athlon Optics designed the Argos scope with the reticle etched onto the glass to prevent UNNECESSARY shaking during recoils. This contributes to the rifle scope’s overall durability!
It’s also made with aircraft-grade aluminum to provide structural properties such as shockproofing and waterproofing, proving its durability among other devices in the market.
The Argos scope also has its reticle located on the first local plane.
This is convenient in guiding you to fixate on your target better. Don’t worry because the hash marks, fortunately, do not change and will still be the same relative to your target.
Lastly, the first focal plane reticle is ideal for low light conditions because of its illuminated reticle.
Windage and Elevation Adjustments
The Argos scope has windage and elevation adjustment turrets that can easily be adjusted intuitively to eliminate parallax.
Again, this makes the scope ideal for long-range hunting as you wouldn’t have to make unnecessary movements to get ahold of your target!
- Great sight picture
- Reticle etching and illumination
- Not entirely fog proof
What Are the Basics of a 30-06 Rifle?
- The 30-06 is still one of the most popular sporting cartridges in the world because of its versatility and convenience.
- It was first developed for military use in 1906 and has since been a reliable hunting cartridge for sporting fields and hunting.
- The 30-06 rifle has accurate targeting and moderate recoil making it the perfect choice for beginner shooters who want to try out for small, medium, or big game targets.
- As this is mostly used when sporting, you’ll also find this often used while deer hunting.
Sounds convincing enough for you to pick up a 30-06?
A scope helps further improve the quality, accuracy, precision, and user experience of using your rifle. The 30-06 is no exception to the help of your rifle scopes.
So if anything: you should definitely pick up a 30-06 and an appropriate rifle scope, amateur shooter or not.
How to Identify the Parts of the Scope?
It would be helpful to learn more about the parts of your scope while trying to understand features offered by rifle scopes.
We’ll walk you through the front end of the scope to the back to help you better visualize the device in your head:
- The objective lens is the front glass. The field view and amount of light transmitted depend on the size and quality of your objective lens.
- The tube refers to the primary body of your scope. Tubes are usually one inch or 30mm in length. These usually come with rings that are of the same size as the tube itself.
- The adjustment knobs are used to change the windage and elevation of the scope. A parallax knob may also come along with a scope with a large magnification.
- The rear is conveniently made up of the pieces closest to your eye for their specific purposes and for your convenience as well. These parts are identified as the: eyepiece, the focus knob, and the magnification adjustment.
- The reticle is the part of the eyepiece you are in direct contact with.
Additional Scope Terms
- Objective size – the size of the objective lens
- Lens coating – help weatherproof the lenses of your scope
- Charged scope – a scope filled with nitrogen or oxygen to keep the moisture in the tube
What Should I Look for in a 30-06 Rifle Scope?
There are a lot of factors you should consider when choosing rifle scopes in general!
You’ll soon find out that the best scope for 30-06 isn’t the one with the best quality features. Rather, the best is the one most suited for your needs.
Here are three features that you should check out according to what type of hunt you plan to use your rifle on:
The magnification of your scope should depend on how vast your hunting field is for varying ranges:
- Smaller fields would ideally only need lower-powered magnifying scopes.
- Higher magnification ranges are thus more appropriate for use in larger fields and for long-range shots.
This is a general rule of thumb for what magnification you should configure your 30-06 rifle at:
- Close Range (< 200 yards): 1-4x magnification power range
- Medium Range (200-400 yards): 4-9x magnification power range
- Long Range (400 yards and above): 9x and higher magnification power range
Clarity is important because a good field of view requires good light transmission for a crisp and focused image of your target.
The clarity of your scope depends on these features:
- The quality of the glass
- The size of the objective lens
- The 1/4 MOA clicking of the adjustment knobs
The best scopes for 30-06 rifles are those that utilize low dispersion glass for better color saturation and resolution.
The lenses should also be big enough to accommodate a good light management system. The larger the lens, the better equipped your rifle for long-range shooting.
The knobs are also important to help give you a better picture on your sight. Don’t hesitate to freely use them as much as you can!
Just make sure that you can still hear the clicking sounds to signify that the knobs are being properly rotated.
Depending on what you need for your hunt, your reticle should always be of quality and suited to your needs.
Here’s a general list of reticle features that optics manufacturers design theirs around:
- Suitable for deer hunting
- Good bullet drop compensation
- Low light environment shooting
- Well-illuminated reticle
You could always head out to the shooting range to ensure you are equipped with the best scope before immersing yourself in the field.
Just remember these added features shouldn’t add unnecessary weight to your hunting rifle.
Our Top Picks
The best scope for 30-06 rifles is always those best suited to your needs.
Rounding up this review, we once again recommend you our Best Picks among our curated list of the best scopes in the market right now.
Vortex Optics Diamondback HP 4-12×40 – Best Overall
The Diamondback HP is high performance as high performance can go. It’s just an overall great product!
Its durability and build do not hinder your motion and field of view as you move from one target to another, making it the perfect choice for serious shooters and hunters.
Its reputation among this market all the more justifies why we recommend this to be the best overall scope this 2021.
Don’t worry if you’re just a beginner too! It’s intuitive and easy enough to use despite being designed with professionals in mind.
Trust us when we say that all the features you’re looking for a scope right now are in the Diamondback already: optical clarity, inherent brightness, zero hold, and intuitive.
This is our pick among all the other best scopes for you!
Leupold VX-3I 3.5-10×40 – Best Value
The Leupold VX-3I is our best scope for its value this 2021.
The VX-3I may be on the more expensive side of high-quality scopes, but the result is a scope of your money’s worth.
It offers the highest quality materials to ensure you get the best hunting experience with it.
The VX-3I especially offers one of the best experiences when it comes to zeroing your 30-06 rifle, which makes it ideal for big game hunting.
Burris Fullfield II 4.5 – 14x42mm Ballistic Plex – Best Budget Pick
Our Best Budget Pick of the year is from Burris Fullfield!
The Fullfield II Ballistic Plex offers the most sought out feature in the 30-06 scope: its reticle that is located on the first local plane. This means the reticle is able to adjust to the different magnification settings the rifle allows!
You’d be surprised by the demand for these first focal plane reticles. We’re not going to lie to you because they’re right for demanding so.
You’re lucky we’re here to tell you that you can get a quality grade scope at the lowest price possible where you still get your desired value — that’s the Ballistic Plex for you!
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32 – Best Sit-Down and Target
We also just couldn’t resist not recommending you another Vortex Optics rifle scope!
The Crossfire II is our best sit-down and target pick because it is perfect for shooting sessions where you do not expect to do a lot of moving and hunting.
An assessment of its features could easily tell you it uses all of the best materials and offers you the best quality for scopes boasting the same price tag. Yet, the Crossfire II simply offers unparalleled eye relief and clarity for your 30-06.
FINAL TIP: If you’re interested in the best of the best, you can take a look at our guide on the best overall riflescopes under 500 dollars for more options.
CHANGELOG: May 26, 2022 - Made minor updates to content and formatting, updated article title March 24, 2022 - Added 1 new article link October 6, 2021 - Added new product link options September 21, 2021 - marked 2 products as discontinued/unavailable