You read it right! Deers are attracted to peanut butter.
But that’s not all!
You can use peanut butter and you don’t have to be an expert deer hunter in order for it to work!
All you need is peanut butter and these 3 simple steps on how to attract deer with peanut butter, and you’re bound to have success in your deer hunting.
First Things First
Hunting deer is a regulated activity in most states.
There are states that also prohibit the use of baiting in deer hunting. Make sure to check with your local wildlife authorities and abide by any state laws and restrictions that there are in your area.
Before investing in your precious peanut butter jar, the first thing that you need to do is to verify the rules and regulations to ensure you’re not doing something illegal.
Things You Need
Once you have verified the deer hunting rules and regulations of your state, let’s now talk about peanut butter! deer hunting bait using peanut butter.
Here are the materials that you need:
- Peanut butter
- Some screws
- Utility knife
You can buy peanut butter from any grocery shop in your area. Deers like peanut butter so it is a go-to bait. It’s cheap and easy to set up that’s why most hunters use peanut butter as deer attractants.
How to Attract Deer with Peanut Butter
If you’ve been meaning to boost your deer hunting game, peanut butter is a go-to option. It’s one of the most used and easiest ways to attract deer.
So, grab a jar of peanut butter, and let’s use it as deer bait. Here’s how:
Step 1: Take the Lid Off and Screw the Lid on the Tree
- Find a sturdy tree in your deer hunting area that can hold your peanut butter safely.
- Take the lid off and screw the jar lid to the tree at a comfortable place and height for a deer, about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. You can also pre-drill your holes to avoid cracks on the tree.
Proper tree placement is essential for your deer bait to work. You want your deer calm and steady, so let it eat the peanut butter comfortably. Choose your tree and location wisely!
Step 2: Screw the Jar Back to the Lid
- After screwing the lid to the tree, screw the jar of peanut butter back to the lid.
- Remove anything heavy that might fall to your bait.
- Secure it to the tree and check if it can withstand some forces.
- Make sure that nothing can remove your peanut butter easily. After all, you don’t want the deer (or worse, some other animals!) to run away with your peanut butter, do you?
Step 3: Cut the Bottom
- After securing your peanut butter, cut the bottom of the peanut butter jar.
- You can cut the entire bottom of the peanut butter jar or you can leave a small portion of it uncut and let it hang. Either way, it is a tempting bait for your deer hunting.
You might also want to check this video for a demonstration:
Additional Tips to Attract Deer
Using inexpensive treats like peanut butter is a common trick and method used in deer hunting. But, there are also other ways and food plots you can try as deer attractants.
Another method you can try to level up your baiting game is by creating a mixture of peanut butter, molasses, and brown sugar to make the peanut butter softer and flowier.
If the weather is hot enough to soften the mixture, you can put the mixture in a can or a peanut butter jar with a hole in it. Attach it to a tree, let it pour, and the deer will eventually find it.
Another way you can try is to put some of the mixtures in a can or jar:
- Cut a few small holes (smaller than a nail-sized hole but bigger than a pin-sized one) on the lid, and cut a small hole at the bottom part.
- Insert a wire through the bottom hole and form a circle that will fit well in the can. Make sure that the circle sits flat while the other end of the wire is projecting vertically upwards.
- Pour the mixture into the can and seal it using duct tape. You can place the peanut butter mixture on areas where the deer loves to visit more.
Another Deer Attractant
There’s a lot of food you can use as bait for your deer hunting. To attract deer, people use various types of food and traps in hunting.
Deers like peanut butter because of its taste and nutritional property, but they also enjoy other foods, so, you can add more taste to your list of baits.
Here are other foods that you can try:
- Vegetables: potatoes, cabbages, corns, green beans, soybeans
- Fruits: apple, cherries, grapes
- Nuts: acorns, beechnuts, hickory nuts, pecans
- Plants: red clover, chicory, orchard grass
Deers love to eat a lot of nuts and fruits that provide the nutritional property and high energy they need. Some people also use vanilla extract in deer hunting because deer also like the smell and taste of vanilla extract.
From the thoughtful preparation of hunting gear and a crossbow to the careful creation of hunting strategies, deer hunting can be a very daunting task, especially for beginners.
But you don’t have to be an expert deer hunter when using peanut butter and attract deer to finally catch your first trophy game!
There are a lot of attractants you can use in deer hunting. But nothing can question the superiority of peanut butter when it comes to the preparation you need, plus you get the nutritional value as a bonus in using it.
So whether you’re a professional or a beginner hunter, you can easily follow these 3 simple steps without breaking a leg and a bank!
I hope these steps answer your question on how to attract deer with peanut butter. If it did, then it’s time to go ahead and try out our tips!