The Primary Arms 4-14×44 First Focal Plane Scope is a budget-friendly scope complete with all the necessary specs.
From its ACSS reticle to durability, the Primary Arms 4-14×44 will leave you spending HOURS on range sessions and hunting trips.
Here is a full review to help you determine if this is the proper rifle scope for you.
- Overview of the Primary Arms 4-14×44 FFP Rifle Scope
- Things to Consider When Buying a Rifle Scope
- About Primary Arms
- Primary Arms 4-14x44mm Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternatives to the Primary Arms 4-14×44 FFP Rifle Scope
- Final Verdict: Is the Primary Arms 4-14×44 Rifle Scope for You?
Overview of the Primary Arms 4-14×44 FFP Rifle Scope
- Brand: Primary Arms
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: 12.9 inches
- Objective Diameter: 44 mm
- Weight: 23.9 oz
- Magnification: 4x – 14X
- Eye Relief: Low: 3.22 in / High: 3.14 in
There are many things to enjoy about the Primary Arms 4-14×44:
- The 14x magnification on this Primary Arms optic allows you to shoot long-range targets and long distances with ease.
- You also get extremely clear glass quality and light transmission with 14x magnification.
- You will also enjoy its STURDINESS and DURABILITY, making it waterproof, fog-resistant, and shock-resistant.
- Its ACSS and first focal plane scope are great additions that will help maximize your shooting!
- For an affordable price of less than $300, it is an EXCELLENT VALUE for long-distance shooting!
While the Primary Arms 4-14×44 may seem like a great choice, it does come with a few setbacks:
- First, it is not exactly suited for mid or short-range targets. You are better off choosing a different scope.
- You will also not be shooting at night with this FFP rifle scope as it does not support night vision. It may be pretty HEAVY if you are not used to heavy scopes.
- Be careful with the glass as well, as it is not scratchproof.
Things to Consider When Buying a Rifle Scope
When buying a rifle scope, you obviously can’t just pick one off the shelf or store page.
You have to consider some factors to get the best scope to suit your needs.
This is one of the most important factors to consider!
As the term suggests, this purpose is to MAGNIFY your target to give you a crystal clear image.
It is the range which you can multiply to the naked eye. So in the case of the Primary Arms 4-14×44, it can magnify your target by 4-14x.
There are two types:
- Fixed – The field of view is fixed (i.e., a scope with 4x stays at 4x)
- Variable – You can adjust the zoom within a specific range (i.e., a scope with 4-14x can be adjusted from 4x up to 14x)
The magnification may VARY depending on the user and how far they can shoot.
If you like to shoot 100 yards, a 3x scope should be enough. If your target is too small, like a small animal, you may need a more significant magnification, like a 3-9x.
If you’re looking for a reliable 1-6x scope, check out this list to help you out!
Other people might refer to it as the CROSSHAIR. Either way, the reticle determines where the bullet hits.
It is your point of reference as to where to aim.
There are different types of reticles that have different designs and purposes:
A Duplex reticle looks like a standard crosshair, but the THICK LINES can be beneficial, especially for beginners.
The thick lines on the edges of the scope are designed to help the eyes focus on the target and aim within the thinner lines.
As the name suggests, an illuminated reticle is lit up to create a contrast between the target and the reticle.
This makes it easier on your eyes and makes your target easier to spot and focus your attention on.
This type of reticle can be powered with a battery or ambient light and is helpful for low-light situations.
First Focal Plane and Second Focal Plane Scopes
The reticle becomes larger with a First Focal Plane reticle (or Front Focal Plane) as you magnify the image.
An FFP reticle could help you estimate range and use holdovers at any magnification.
An FFP scope makes your target proportional to the reticle, resulting in better accuracy.
On the other hand, a Second Focal Plane reticle does not adjust in magnification with the target.
Second Focal Plane scopes will allow you to hit your target regardless of magnification adjustment.
You can learn more about the differences between a first focal plane reticle and second focal plane reticles in our FFP and SFP Guide if you’re interested.
Full Mil-Dot Reticle
A traditional mil-dot reticle is commonly used in military scopes.
The small dots (known as mil dots) aligned with the reticle’s lines correspond to a specific angle that allows the user to accurately range or distance a target.
#3 Lens Size
The lens size is the diameter of the lens and is the number after the “x” in the product name. In the case of the 4-14×44, it has a lens size of 44mm.
NOTE: The larger objective diameter or lens size, the more light will enter the rifle scope, allowing the image you see to become BRIGHTER.
Lens size is important to consider, especially for the night or dawn hunters since there is still little to no light, so you want a scope with a large enough lens size.
#4 Lens Coating
Lens coating works hand in hand with the lens size as it controls the amount of glare from the light entering the scope.
Lens coating is meant to reduce the amount of glare or loss of light caused by reflection.
The coating can vary from coated lenses, multi-coated lenses, and fully multicoated lenses.
#5 Elevation and Windage
Elevation and windage are used to determine the position of the bullet’s impact.
- Elevation adjusts the bullet up or down
- Windage does the same but left or right.
If the scope’s turrets are re-zeroed, there isn’t much need to adjust for windage.
Instead, you can try a holdover, which is positioning your crosshair higher to compensate for wind.
The elevation is adjusted more often since elevation does not change depending on the wind.
The more you adjust the knob, the greater the angle of the bullet.
About Primary Arms
Primary Arms is a firearm optics brand based in Houston, Texas.
They specialize in creating fully-functional and affordable firearm optics and providing them to:
- Professional shooters
- Servicemen and women
- And anyone who enjoys shooting or hunting
Primary Arms started creating rifle scopes, scope mounts, and prism scopes. They later expanded into various products, including handguns, rifles, knives, and ammunition.
Their technologically-advanced optics are made and sold at affordable prices without compromising quality.
They are sold for cheap because the materials and labor they use are outsourced from regions across the Asia Pacific, like Japan and China.
In those regions, labor costs, costs of production, and materials are much CHEAPER.
They are now one of the leading suppliers of firearms and firearm accessories!
Primary Arms 4-14x44mm Review
The Primary Arms 4-14×44 may be cheap, but cheap does not always translate to cheaply built!
It is an all-round Primary Arms scope perfect for:
- Long-range shooting
- And target practice
You can tell that Primary Arms had functionality, durability, and reasonable prices as their main priorities when designing this FFP rifle scope.
If you plan to get yourself one of these, you will also enjoy FREEBIES like:
- Lens covers
- A lens cloth
- An Allen wrench for the adjustment knobs.
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
The Primary Arms 4-14×44 main tube is made of heavy-duty ALUMINUM that feels super solid, so you do not have to worry about durability.
After rigorous field testing, we can all agree that the ACSS HUD DMR 308/223 reticle stays true to the entire magnification range.
You get nice glass clarity even in harsh or humid weather, and it’s designed to withstand corrosion and damage from heavy recoil.
You also get a fast-focus eye-piece for suitable eye relief and a crisp reticle view.
Being a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope is another great feature as it gives you a fixed reference point when shooting. This is handy for long-range targets as your FFP reticle stays in the same spot.
Specifications & Versatility
- This scope is compatible with Picatinny mounts and is waterproof, shockproof, and fog-resistant.
- It has dual use as an AR-15 platform scope.
- It has a large objective diameter of 44mm, allowing plenty of light to shine through.
- The parallax adjustment knob is SMOOTH and goes as low as 15 yards. You will need the parallax knob to prevent parallax error and ensure accurate shots every time.
One of the key features on the Primary Arms 4-14×44 is the ACSS HUD DMR reticle or simply ACSS reticle.
ACSS stands for Advanced Combined Sighting System, and with this, it allows you to start shooting 800-1000 yards right out of the gate.
It does a lot of the math to get good placement on your first shot and helps build confidence, especially for beginners!
The ACSS also improves wind hold by providing range estimation of targets. You can estimate range without a rangefinder!
One of the best parts of the Primary Arms 4-14×44 is its price. You can enjoy all the benefits of this scope for less than $300.
Depending on where you buy from, prices may vary, but unlike other scopes, below $300 is a great deal considering all the features and benefits of this scope.
You will also be glad to hear that Primary Arms offers a lifetime warranty for this great scope! It also comes with additional accessories like lens covers and an Allen wrench!
It’s a great purchase compared to other scopes in the same price range.
If you’re looking for something a bit pricier, though, you can also take a look at our Top $500 Rifle Scopes guide for some options.
Most shooters and budget optic reviews agree that the Primary Arms 4-14×44 is one of the best products on the market with great value.
You will definitely want to buy this scope a second time, not because something is wrong with it, but because everything is right:
- An FFP scope with this reticle is hard to find altogether, but Primary Arms makes it EASY for you to access.
- You will not have to do extra math or struggle with the brightness setting since this scope already does everything for you.
- You will also forget how AFFORDABLE it is! Everything you need is all on this cheap but high-quality scope.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Primary Arms Scopes Durable?
Primary Arms scopes are made with top-tier materials that can withstand even the harshest conditions!
Primary Arms has DURABILITY as one of their priorities, so you can be sure that their products are built to last!
The Primary Arms 4-14×44 is also made with 6063 Aluminum, the same type used on aircraft. This scope holds up well wherever you take it!
Are Primary Arms Scopes Made in China?
Because some Primary Arms products are made through outsourcing in Asian countries, some products, including scopes, are manufactured in China.
Primary Arms’ Classic Series CLx consists of products outsourced from China.
These are recommended for people who cannot afford expensive scopes or do not have much experience:
1. Classic CLx4 1-4×24 IL
This scope is a great choice for CLOSE-RANGE shooting and hunting. It is made with:
- 4x optical zoom
- 24mm objective lens
- Magnification range of 1-4x.
- Elevation/windage adjustment knob of 45/45
- Eye relief of 3.5-4.9 inches
- Uses a standard Duplex reticle
2. Classic CLx4 4-16×44 Mil SFP
This scope is another product in the classic series and is best suited for SHORT to MID-range shooting.
- It has a pretty large 44mm diameter to get a good amount of light shining through
- Good magnification of 16x
- Elevation/windage adjustment of 30/30
- Mil-dot version reticle
3. Classic CLx6 6×32
The CLx6 6×32 is a fixed scope ideally used for short-range shooting and sports competitions.
It is equipped with an ACSS HUD DMR reticle, which is useful for:
- Calculating range estimation
- Bullet drop compensation
- Wind holds, saving you a huge amount of calculation time
Its other specs include:
- A 32mm objective lens
- Eye relief of 3.1 inches
- Elevation/windage adjustment of 50/50
Does a Primary Arms Scope Have Lifetime Warranty?
YES, they do!
Because Primary Arms is committed to customer service and satisfaction, you are guaranteed to have any issues covered for life!
Rest assured that all Primary Arms products go through a 100% in-house inspection to maintain the highest quality possible.
Don’t believe us? You can take a look yourself at the Primary Arms website here.
Alternatives to the Primary Arms 4-14×44 FFP Rifle Scope
If you think the PA scope isn’t the right scope for you, you can always check out these affordable alternatives:
1. Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-16×50
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II is a great budget choice for beginners and is built for high-quality performance.
It has many similar features to the Primary Arms 4-14×44, such as:
- Durable aluminum tubing
- Magnification of 4-16x
- Objective diameter of 50mm
It is also equipped with a fast-focus eyepiece for easy focusing on your target.
This scope also comes with a bullet-drop compensation (BDC) reticle for hunting and shooting at different ranges without calculating windage or holdover.
For a low price of under $300, this scope is a great choice to look into!
2. Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9×40
The Leupold VX Freedom is specially made for any hunting situation.
It is designed with an advanced optical system that gives you the best glare reduction and glass clarity!
Here are some specs:
- It comes with a 3:1 zoom ratio, which gives you 3x more magnification at high power.
- It uses an SFP reticle, so it stays the same regardless of magnification and is useful for low light situations.
- Its hardened surface is of military standards and resistant to external elements.
You get all of these for a LOW PRICE as well. Definitely worth a look!
3. ATN X-Sight II 5-20x Night Vision Scope
If you really want to shoot at night, you can always turn to this scope to suit your night hunting needs.
The ATN X-Sight II is good for both day AND night shooting, and you can expect crystal clear images thanks to its Smart HD Optics!
The X-Sight also has a built-in rangefinder and ballistics calculator to do all the math and calculations for you.
What’s more, is the X-Sight comes with 1080p video recording and WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity.
For even more alternatives, you can check out our List of Top 500-Yard Scopes.
Final Verdict: Is the Primary Arms 4-14×44 Rifle Scope for You?
If you are looking for a budget-friendly scope that performs exceptionally, then YES, the Primary Arms 4-14×44 is for you!
There is no better scope than this as it is suitable for ALL SHOOTERS, regardless of skill level!
You can enjoy shooting at a long distance with ease thanks to all its specs, from its adjustable elevation, windage, and parallax adjustment knob to the ACSS.
You can always run this scope through a box test to try it out, but rest assured that you will not be disappointed in this scope’s performance.
CHANGELOG: August 25 - Added 1 new article link May 26, 2022 - minor content and formatting edits