For those who are for shotguns for both of hunting and defense, they never deny two kinds of popular shotguns on the market today. These are Stevens and Maverick 88; these models recently have been making the new storm on the rifle stores. With a thousand of useful features, they have received the positive assignment of users. Thus, it will be very difficult to choose one out of two these models. To deal with his problem, I decided to write an article to distinguish the difference and similarities between Stevens 320 and Maverick 88 to take it easy for selecting. The things you need to do is identifying your need to make it fit with the given information and make your decision.
First of all, I will bring to you some of the overall views about each shotgun before finding out about the comparison and distinguish. Don’t stop reading for more information:
1.Stevens 320 review
The Stevens 320 shotgun is well-built models thoughtfully selected for the performance, value and it provides thousands of features only found on a more expensive gun. The 320 pump features the secure pistol grip, proven rotary bolt design and the dual sidebars for the reliable operation. Besides, the receiver is the bottom load with the great right eject. It has a 3-inch chamber and the fixed cylinder chokes.
This Stevens 320 pump is the pump action shotgun which shoots 12 gauge ammunition. It owns the maximum capacity of five rounds. Moreover, it holds the average amount compared to the other shotguns for the same caliber while the price is less than the average 12-gauge shotgun. Thus, you still can benefit this feature but also save a small amount of money. Do not stop here because there is a new version with 20 gauge on the Steven model that make you find more choice.
Also, the Stevens 320 weighs 6.8 lbs uploaded; it is heavier than average for the shotgun. With the barrel length is about 18.5 inches And the overall length is about 38,25 inches. We can see that it is relatively small for the 12 gauge shotgun. Besides, all of Steven 320 model was equipped with the swivel studs and dual action bars.
2.Maverick 88 review
This model also has both of 12 and 20 gauge version. It is the subsidiary of Mossberg but is the less expensive design of the Mossberg 500. It also has the five of capacity and the bead front sight. It is cross bolt safety, has the barrel and the rubber recoil. Most parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg 500. This model is pumped action shotgun with the cylinder chokes in 12 gauge version.
The significant thing about this model is the price; it really makes a user feel satisfied with the affordable price ever. It was recommended as one of the best shotguns for home defense. Although it is assembled in Texas from mostly Mexican parts, it has the different group than the Mossberg models. The Maverick has some plastic internals part.
This model is very reliable and depending on the ammunition loaded can be counted on the stop the threat in one shot. It is easy to use because this was designed with the cross bolt style that is near the trigger. And the cross bolt safety is a drag whether you are left-hand side.
3.Comparison of Stevens 320 vs. Maverick 88
– Both of these models are pump action
– The Mavericks 88 and the Stevens 320 has the ballistic performance with 12 gauge caliber and 20 gauge version.
– Besides, the 20 gauge security edition of these models was recommended for small game, trap shooting, and home security. The version is lighter than seven lb compares with the 12 gauge.
- Price: The Maverick was evaluated higher than the Stevens 320 a little, so the Maverick has the higher price a little bit about just 10$.
- Capacity: The Maverick has eight rounds of capacity while the Stevens 320 just hold the five rounds of capacity. Therefore, the maverick will be the better choice in this case because the capacity is one of the most important factors.
- Overall length: We can easily to see that the maverick is shorter about 38.25 in. while the Stevens 320 is longer at 45.25 in. For some people, the longer will be better but some another, shorter could be good. So you should care about your need and your interest.
- Barrel length: Because of the overall length, the Steven s 320 is longer than the barrel length of the Maverick by eight in.
- Uploaded weight: It is mostly similar; the Stevens 320 is just lighter than the Maverick a little bit about 0,15 lbs.
- Some other differences:
+ The cross bolt style near the trigger with the Stevens 320 and the rotary bolt with the Maverick are one of the big difference of them
+ The Maverick 88 is longer barrel hunting shotgun with the chokes while the Stevens 320 is the security shotgun with the fixed cylinder choke.
+ The Maverick is the budget version of the Mossberg 500, so it has many interchangeable parts.
+ Although it is not suggested higher, the Stevens 320 holds some very useful features which do not appear on the Maverick 88 such as the eject, swivels tub, and dual action bars.
In conclusion, both of Maverick 88 and Stevens 320 have their great features that support you for every purpose. Importantly, you define what features are suitable for you to purchase. Sometimes, the price does not matter but the quality and suitability which make you choose the right one. I really hope that my article can help you some information and the comparison between the Stevens 320 and Maverick 88 show you the detail about each model. Be confident and don’t be hesitate when making a choice, dears!