Mosin Nagant is a five-shot internal magazine-fed military rifle developed from 1882 to 1891. It was used by the Soviet Union and the Russian Empire.
Despite its old age, it’s still widely used all over the world these days. There are probably a thousand kinds of Mosin Nagants with different designs and features.
Thus, the price of this rifle varies all the time. In some shops, you’ll see that they have Mosin Nagant variants that cost around $100 to $200. But in several shops, they sell might sell it for up to $1000.
History of Mosin Nagant
The Mosin Nagant rifle was used in many parts of the world, especially in Russia.
After being defeated by Turks armed with the Winchester repeating rifles, the Russian Army decided to modernize its weaponry.
They tested out magazine-fed rifles, a 3-line caliber rifle from Mosin, and a 3.5 line design by Nagant.
So, how does this bolt action rifle actually work, and how it came to be?
The combination of Nagant and Mosin’s designs was developed for the Russian Army and was used to design the 3-line rifle model 1891. There were many exchanges and compromises between the 2 of these designs which you’ll see on the 1891 variant.
In Mosin’s original, the magazine’s spring was not stuck to the base plate, so it was easily lost during cleaning. This is as opposed to the Nagant which was more practical with the magazine spring attached to the base plate.
One more interesting thing is that Nagant’s designs lacked an interrupter to keep two cartridges from being loaded, so it caused frequent feed failures. This is why they took Mosin’s interrupter and the feed mechanism design for the 1891 model.
After a long time, they produced the model 1891/30, which was redesigned from the old Model 1891. The interrupter was changed drastically because it was considered an unreliable piece of the rifle.
The Mosin-Nagant was used popularly in World War 2, so it’s not a overstep to say that these rifles have great historical value.
Factors That Affect Prices of the Mosin Nagant
Price is always a problem for those who want to collect rifles. Model and variant types are deciding factors for the price of a Mosin Nagant.
It will surprise you when you see some Mosin Nagant rifles for more than 1000 dollars while others are just 100 dollars.
Of course, when you purchase a high-priced rifle, you will receive more qualities and benefits. But that doesn’t mean that you won’t get good quality with the cheaper ones either.
Thus, we suppose that you should consider the amount of your budget first and then try to figure out what is most suitable for you.
Based on experience, we realize that the price of Mosin Nagant has never tended to go down. It’ll be good to be on the lookout for a good deal on it.
Prices of Mosin Nagant Variants
Affordable Range ($100 to $300)
- Mosin Nagant M91/30 Infantry Rifle 762x54R – $150
- 1926 Tula HEX Dragoon Rifle Mosin Nagant M91/30 – $200
- Gun Broker Mosin Nagant M91/30 1942 – $200
- Finnish Matching Bayonet M91/30 Mosin Nagant C&R – $100
- 1928 IZHEVSK HEX MATCHING #s Mosin Nagant 91/30 NR – $319
- 1927 IZHEVSK HEX 91/30 Mosin Nagant 7.62X54r WWII – $304
- 1927 Mosin Nagant 91/30 IZHEVSK HEX #s MATCH WWII – $299
- 7.62X54r 500pcs Stripper Clips For Mosin Nagant – $189
Mid-Range ($400 to $800)
- Mosin-Nagant 1942 Finnish refurb – $550
- Mosin Nagant M91/59 7.62x54R Russian – $600
- Mosin Nagant with one of a kind, adjustable stock – $600
- Remington Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x51R – $750
- Mosin Nagant Scout rifle, Timney trigger, scope – $550
- WW1 1915 Westinghouse M91 Mosin Nagant – $700
- NICE Polish M44 Mosin Nagant Carbine 7.62x54r – $475
Premium Range ($850 and above)
- Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper 1943/51 – $1199
- Mosin Nagant PEM 91/30 7.62X54R RESTORED – $1250
- Mosin Nagant Sniper M91/30 w Scope Matching 7.62×54 – $1249
- Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Sniper – $900
To sum up, the price of rifles plays a vital role in making our decision to purchase. The price should fit the quality and features.
Most people tend to be determined to buy a secondhand rifle because it’s cheaper. But the downside to that is that some sellers aren’t transparent about the rifle’s quality.
It’s still important to be alert and discerning when purchasing any weapon to add to your arsenal.
We hope that you find the best choice and get a good rifle with the help of this article!
CHANGELOG: March 25, 2022 - Made minor updates to the content October 1, 2021 - Updated article images September 13, 2021 - Reviewed and updated article links, updated article title