30 stands for the bullet’s caliber or diameter (308 inches or 7.8 mm), and 06 stands for when it was adapted in 1906. It replaced for 30-30 Lee Navy and 30-40 Krag.
30-06 is a type of Springfield cartridge that all gunners know because of its high quality and light finish. It was also used popularly around the world.
It is a perfect production of the United States, which was adopted in the time war. And many innovations to improve the accuracy of the 30-06 make it a high-quality weapon.
How Far Can a 30 06 Bullet Shoot?
Total Travel for Machine Guns
The United States Military designed and manufactured the 30-06 to become the highest level ball.
In 1906, M1906 was the examination done by 1800 yards (1650m), but it was not a totally correct statistic.
In 1918, the maximum range of 30-06 had 3300-3400 yards (3020m, 3110m) result of 1926 was much higher by full range was 5500 yards(5030m). However, it was used by machine guns so that the scope will be better than a firearm.
Total Travel for Firearms
Besides being designed for use in machine guns, the 30-06 was also created to be a firearm that hunters can practice with.
This ammunition also can respond to the demand for more guns. Although the number of ranges for a firearm is lower than a machine gun, it is still an admiring number. You can see them below.
How far can a 30-06 shoot for the firearm?
Surely it will be shorter than the machine gun, but it is always an expression number, which makes all of you surprising because of their scope. It can do about 150-800 yards and even up to further than 1000 yards.
That was proved by an individual hunter who used the 30-06 to hunt. It is a suitable distance to capture wild animals like deer, moose, bears, and hogs.
Factors That Affect Shooting Distance
Many reasons affect the scope of 30-06, such as weight, diameter or round, rifle, wind, mass, quality of the gun, and the bullet condition.
It still has different characteristics that reduce the distance of the 30-06. And the spirit of Gunners is one factor that roots directly to the effective range of 30-06.
- Usually, each ammo has a different weight because they will get different scopes. According to ammunition production of many factories, the weight of 30-06 is from 1.7 to 14.3 grams (109.6-220.7 gr).
- 30-06 is the lower weight. It will be farther and farther effective range. For example, a Federal-Ammo manufacturer was produced many kinds of 30-06 with different weights. Thus, we can interpret that weight ranges from 30-06 depends on this factor.
- Qualification of the gun also directly affects the distance. If your gun has rust, then, of course, you can’t shoot at maximum effective range.
- The wind will change the purpose of your ammunition when it flies from the gun. Ammo flies following an arc and not a straight line, so there’s a big difference when the wind is strong.
Getting Good Sight When Using a 30-06 Bullet
To have a more accurate shot with 30 06 bullets:
- It would be best if you placed them where it’s flat enough to shoot.
- The diameter and weight of the bullets can change the scope of 30-06.
- Light ammo will get you to reach a higher result in the big or small game.
- Good guns can give you an even better aim than you’d expect.
- Keep practicing every day, especially for long-range shooting.
- It will help if you store your weapon and ammunition in a safe environment.
Why Should You Choose a 30 06 Bullet?
- This ammo is appreciated because it does not stop to reform day by day.
- You can use 30-06 both of woodland and clear flat. It remains in its highest quality in any situation.
- 30-06 can shoot a thousand yards and there are many bullet weights to choose from.
- This ammunition has the right level because it was designed for many purposes like deer hunting and long-range target shooting.
30 06 Bullet Manufacturers
Some big ammo manufacturers are Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady. There are ammunitions with individual calibers and purposes.
In fact, some manufacturers will even give you tutorials and recommendations when you buy. Just be sure to find ammunition carefully and meticulously.
Nowadays, there are plenty of bullets traded in the market. Nevertheless, choosing good ammo fit to purpose is not always easy.
Thus, all of the information above will become useful to all of you whether you want to take it or not.
We expect that this article has provided all of the information you need to figure out if the 30 06 bullet is best for you. The choice really depends on your preference, so choose wisely.
FINAL TIP: For an even better understanding of this bullet, you can also check how the 30 06 compares to the 7mm.
CHANGELOG: March 28, 2022 - Made minor revisions to content January 12, 2022 - Added new product links September 27, 2021 - Updated article images September 14, 2021 - Reviewed and updated article links